For some people, Facebook messages have a lot of value and nostalgia, primarily if the conversations have run for years. Something that one cannot simply take screenshots of or save as a backup to remember forever. This is where knowing how to download your Facebook chat history will help.
Since one can’t simply add a backup to these chats and sync them to their email address like other messaging apps, downloading them to your device’s drive makes the most sense. And this also helps if one plans to delete their Facebook account permanently or temporarily but would like to revisit their chat over time. Thankfully, a feature installed by Facebook removes any necessity for a third-party app. Ensuring a simple procedure that will take only a few minutes of your day, here is how:
How to Download Your Facebook Chat History Using the App
- Open the Facebook App and Log In to your account.
- Tap on the Hamburger Icon on the top right corner of the screen to open the menu.
- Scroll down to find Settings and Privacy.
- Next select Settings.
- Scroll further down to find your information section. Here, select download your information.
- On the next page, you will find all your essential data in your Facebook account, selected category-wise. Deselect all, and then choose messages to only download your Facebook chat history.
- Scroll down to select:
Date Range: The time range in which you require your chats to be downloaded, or you can also select all your data.
Chat Format: Html or JSON.
Quality: High, medium, or low.
- Tap on create a file when done.
- Next, scroll upwards and go to available copies, where you will find the downloading process is pending. After a while, the chat file will be ready to download, and you will be able to see its size. Hit download when ready.
- Facebook will lead you to a chrome tab and will ask you to enter your password.
After entering your password, the files will be downloaded to your device in a ZIP folder. Extract the single zip folder on your device, and navigate here to find all your texts, videos, and images sent during the set time frame.
- How to Bulk Delete Facebook Messenger Messages
- Send Blank Text on WhatsApp, Instagram, and Facebook
- How to Tag Someone on Facebook Posts and Photos
Now you know you don’t have to be a tech wizard to be able to download your Facebook chat history on your device. This is the easiest and quickest way to remember your memories with your friends and families, which you can now resist any time of the day without having to open your Facebook account.