Telegram has become one of the biggest online texting platforms in today’s time. The fantastic app has offered several benefits to the online community harboring every service from merchant dealers to day-to-day texting with peers. Considering how increasingly popular the texting app is, it is understandable that many users are asking how they can backup Telegram chats and media on their respective devices.
Unlike other common texting apps, Telegram is not famous for having a widely popular backup option, so it is clear why doubts can arise among users. But not to worry, as we have come to help you out. In this post, we will walk you through a step-by-step guide on how to backup your Telegram chats and media in simple ways.
Backup Telegram Chats using the Desktop App
All the methods to backup telegram chats can only function on a desktop or PC as of currently. But despite that, these procedures are quick and easy to follow. The first thing on the list is to use the telegram app version available for laptops or computers.
Through this method, you will have two options for backing up your chats. You can backup the individual chats as per your preference, or you can backup the entire data of your profile on Telegram. Both require the desktop version app, so make sure you install that before we begin.
Backing up Individual Chats
This is an easier and storage-saving alternative, as we often don’t need to save every conversation on our account and only the essential chats that are separate. In such a case, backing up individual telegram chats will help save space, and the downloading process will finish much more quickly.
- Open the app on your computer. Make sure you sign in to your account.
- Next, open the chat box whose chat history you want to backup locally on your PC.
- Select the three dots icon present on the top right corner of the screen. On its opening, you will see a list of options, among which you will find Export chat history. Select it.
- A pop-up will open on your screen where you will see various chat export options to choose from in the settings. These will include photos, videos, video messages, voice messages, stickers, files, gifs, etc. You can select or deselect the default depending on which ones you want to export in chat backup. Notice here that the format of your backup files will be HTML so that you can choose the size limit of these files as well.
- Once you are done altering the settings, click export and proceed further.
- The downloading process will begin, and the app will take time according to the size of your selected data. Once the backup is downloaded, you can select the show my data option to open your files saved on your PC.
Backup All Telegram Chats
This is another way through which you can backup telegram chat, but this time you will be backing up the entire app data on your device. This is a safe measure to take if you plan to deactivate or delete your telegram account. This way, your entire data stays safe with you in case you need it in the future. Here’s how to do it:
- Open the Desktop app and select the hamburger icon on the top left corner of the screen. This will open up the menu section of the app on your screen.
- Among the list of options, select the Advanced option.
- Scroll down to find the Export telegram data option on the next page. Select it.
- Like before, you will also be given a list of optional chat features that you may want to back up on your computer. The list will include, contact list, account information, personal chats, bot chats, group chats on public or private groups or channels, video, picture, sticker, gifs, files, etc. Select or deselect as per your preference or need.
- Next, you can select your backup location and the format in which you want it downloaded. Then click export.
- It will take some time to download, and once it is done, you can check out the stored data on the selected location on your PC.
Backup Telegram Chats in a PDF Format
Backing up your telegram chats in PDF is a great way to make them easily accessible to you. You can further save them on your phone or other devices If you want. For this method, you will need to use the telegram web instead of the app on your PC, where we will be given the option to print and have a web page as PDF documents. Here’s how to proceed:
- First, open a web browser of your choice on your desktop.
- Go to the telegram website using the browser and log in to your telegram account using the same phone number.
- After logging in to the account, select and open the telegram chat that you want to save. Scroll and select its message history.
- The print window will open, adding the select chat history you scrolled through. Click the drop-down menu and choose the Save as PDF option from here.
- Select your desired location for the chat pdf to be downloaded and then click Save.
Voila! You’re thorough. Now you can easily view your chats history in a PDF format. This option will also help those users who don’t generally use the telegram app. Hence, downloading it just to export their data can be a tiresome process for them. This method using the web browser will easily let them backup telegram chat in no time with no additional hassle than they are used to already.
So these were some quick and easy ways following which anyone can backup their Telegram chat distinctively. It is important to know that if a user forgets to operate their account for a long time, Telegram will automatically delete their entire chats and data.
Hence, if you feel that you may not use your Telegram account for a long time, getting your data backed up early on will save you some potential loss in the future. We hope this post taught you helpful ways to backup telegram chat.